Thank you for your interest in auditioning for the Washington Master Chorale! Maestro Colohan is always glad to hear singers who are interested in our group, and he holds auditions throughout the year.
Because we maintain a stable roster of experienced choral singers, we only occasionally have openings, and they generally occur in between seasons. We do however encourage you to set up an audition right away if you are interested in the group.
About the Process
Auditions are generally held on Friday and Sunday afternoons from 2:00-5:00 p.m.
If you wish to set up an audition please send an email to email@example.com with the following information:
- The conflict sheet (WMC Singer Rehearsal Schedule, 2021-2022 Season [PDF]), signed and scanned with your full name, address, phone number, height, and all of your c:onflicts noted. Attach this document to your email.
- In the body of your email please also include
- A clear indication of your specific voice type (including 1st or 2nd)
- A brief description of your choral background and experience
- A good range of time slots that work for you in the upcoming 3 weeks on either Friday or Sunday afternoon between 2-5pm
- A clear indication of whether you are auditioning as a pro or volunteer
- Your professional singing resume (Professional Singers only)
We will reply with your assigned time and we will do our best to accommodate your preferred time and date. You will also be provided copies of the professional or volunteer policy information (as applicable) and the WMC rehearsal protocol to review before the audition.
The audition is approximately 25 min in length and will be scheduled on the half hour from 2pm-5pm. Auditions are held at Maestro Colohan’s teaching s
Professional Audition Preparation
The professional position requires significant past professional choral experience. Professionals should prepare one of the following arias: “Every Valley” (tenor) or “The Trumpet Shall Sound” (baritone) “Rejoice Greatly” (sop) “O Thou that Tellest” (alto) from the Messiah, as well as a contrasting (lyrical) art song from the 19th or 20th century. There will also be a short range, ear, and sight-singing test.
Volunteer Audition Preparation
The volunteer position requires significant past volunteer choral experience. For the volunteer audition, come prepared to sing the choral soprano, alto, tenor or bass part of Movement 4 of the Brahms Requiem (first half through m. 64) and the choral soprano, alto, tenor or bass part from the “And He Shall Purify” Chorus from Handel’s Messiah (first section through m. 30). There will also be a short ear, vocal range, and sight singing test.
Thank you again for your interest! We look forward to hearing you sing.